Scope of Position
Manages and directs the research and development programs to meet internal business and client needs and to capitalize on potential new products, services and other innovations associated with process engineering, packaging engineering and construction technology. Initiates and oversees complex research projects, analyzes results and provides recommendations based on findings and ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met.
1. Manages the research and development center to ensure innovative projects are focused on client needs and improvements in the systems and processes.
2. Develops and implements research and development procedures, strategies and techniques.
3. Provides guidance and supervision to research and development engineers assigned to the team as well as temporary staff on a project basis.
4. Partners with innovation ecosystems and leading research institutions to foster opportunities and access to students and faculty in support of research and development projects.
5. Work closely with leadership to identify target projects and client needs.
6. Create final deliverables to summarize progress and technology readiness levels of selected projects.
7. Manages staff in the day-to-day performance management.
8. Presents projects to senior stakeholders within the Company as well as partner company counterparts when appropriate.
9. Assesses the scope of research projects and ensures they are on time and within budget.
10. Identify and monitor leading-edge developments relevant to technologies, including but not limited to packaging, processing and construction. Assessing implications for the Company.
11. Manages project flow and track technical readiness level, market opportunity and path to internal introduction or commercialization where appropriate.
12. Supervise, mentor, and develop disruptive innovation team.
13. Travel 30% required.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, industrial) required or an advanced degree in engineering or an MBA is desirable. 8-10 years of related experience preferably with leadership of R&D efforts at a large corporation.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, License, Certifications Etc.
1. Strong leadership and management skills.
2. Passion for Innovation.
3. Successful candidate will be a very motivated self-starter and be able to set a broad-based team agenda with little guidance.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
5. Ability to quickly take complex business problems, new markets and emerging technologies for fundamental understanding.
6. Highly collaborative & able to gain buy-in to ideas.
7. Balanced perspective on business needs and constraints.
8. Comfortable with ambiguity, while remaining results oriented.
9. Extensive knowledge of process and packaging engineering.
10. Demonstrated strong analytical ability.
11. Operational experience in systems engineering for process systems in a manufacturing environment.
12. Experience leading enterprise-wide Research and Development efforts.
1. Accountability: Accepting responsibility that results in anticipation/prevention of problem areas from actions, and problem solving inside and outside the department/organization.
2. Customer Focus: Makes service to internal and external customers a priority; focuses on exceeding customer expectations, not just meeting them; recognizes and values all key stakeholders; applies and develops service excellence skills.
3. Effective Communication: Listens for understanding and appreciation, encourages open feedback; presents clearly and effectively one on one, and in small and large group settings; considers the audience in preparing messages and in choosing the appropriate communication channels; creates and encourages open channels of communication.
4. Execution/Empowerment: Demonstrates the ability to get results; manages competing demands in fast paced environment with effective results; identifies and creates contingency solutions to ensure timely execution.
5. Learning & Development: Learning new skills and increasing capabilities a high priority; takes action to address development needs in self and others, if applicable; identifies gaps and learning opportunities to ensure complete technical job proficiency; takes responsibility for own development and skills improvement.
1. Team: Collaborate and demonstrate respect for team members, partners and everyone with whom we do business; open communication.
2. Excellence: Strive for quality and safety; executed best in class; creative and innovative; dedicated for continuous improvement.
3. Service: Passionate about customer service internal and external and to the community; and creates superior value.
4. Trust: High standards of ethics and personal accountability; transparency; credibility; fairness