We are excited to share the 2019 edition of our annual Building Tech 50 list. This list features leading companies in the smart buildings landscape, with each offering innovative solutions in the areas of asset management, building envelopes, high performance materials, HVAC and energy systems, interiors, lighting, mobility, roof systems, tenant services, and water systems. From connected sensors to analytics platforms, solar panels, smart lights, modular furniture, and more, these solutions are pushing the boundaries of how buildings are designed, built, operated, and maintained.
Our expert panel of judges will be selecting the winners in each category for announcement on March 13, 2019 at day one of our Buildings 2.0 Conference. To learn more about how to get involved and attend that conference as well as see who our judges are for the competition, please visit the conference landing page.
Note that the list appears in alphabetical order by building system. Enjoy!
1. Aquicore: Aquicore’s platform applies IoT computing and machine learning to help asset managers run cutting-edge portfolios.
2. Facilio: Facilio creates IoT-driven facilities optimization software that helps achieve operational efficiency and sustainability in a single platform.
3. Gridium: Buildings use Gridium’s best in class software to lower energy costs and streamline maintenance.
4. Helix: HELIX, formerly Flux Data, builds custom software used by architects, engineers and general contractors creating the most sophisticated buildings on the planet.
5. Homebase: Homebase is a comprehensive building management and modern living solution for managers and residents.
6. Openpath: On a mission to improve workplace efficiency and security, Openpath creates smart and secure mobile access systems for the modern building.
7. PointGuard: PointGuard offers a cloud-based software platform that helps building teams drive value through significant increases in building comfort and lower operating and capital costs.
8. Scanalytics: Scanalytics has built an analytics platform to connect smart floor sensors in a broad range of building types.
9. Site 1001: Site 1001 offers cloud-based software platform that digitizes, simplifies, and automates facilities management and maintenance.
10. SMS Assist: SMS Assist has created an integrated property management platform to provide clients peace of mind for their multi-property portfolios.
11. ThoughtWire: ThoughtWire is a leader in Operations Performance Management, helping hospitals and commercial buildings operate smarter, safer and healthier with innovative software applications.
12. iGlass Technology: iGlass offers a range of smart window products, including their innovative digital blinds and Secondary Glazing Unit technology.
13. Polysolar: Polysolar develops, designs, and project-manages Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) solutions, bringing low-cost, solar glass to the market.
14. Sagegreenlife: Sagegreenlife’s living green walls combine science and technology to infuse living design nature into the built environment and create dynamic, healthy spaces.
15. Saint-Gobain: Saint-Gobain creates a high-efficiency double and triple-glazing coated glass, which retains heat inside the building and improves solar gain.
16. View: View’s dynamic glass solutions lets in more daylight and reduces glare, allowing more people to work comfortably next to windows and improving space utilization in buildings.
High Performance Materials
17. BamCore: BamCore uses timber bamboo to deliver a customized, code-compliant wall system that is redefining the low-rise built environment.
18. Concrete Sensors: Concrete Sensors creates durable, wireless sensors and a simple mobile app to provide real-time data about strength, temperature and humidity in concrete.
19. GCP Applied Technologies: GCP is a leading global provider of construction materials technology, including additives for cement and concrete, a concrete management system, high-performance waterproofing products, and more.
HVAC & Energy Systems
20. 75F: 75F’s cloud computing power provides real-time HVAC, lighting, and energy management to make buildings more comfortable, healthy, and affordable using accessible, cost-effective technology that costs half as much to install and can save 30-50% on HVAC and lighting utility costs.
21. BuildSim: BuildSim’s energy modeling and data analytics platform can shorten up to 70% of energy modeling time and boost ROI for building owners.
22. Ebeco: Ebeco offers a wide range of heating solutions from underfloor heating to snow melting and industrial temperature maintenance.
23. Enerbrain: Enerbrain creates HVAC sensors and analytics to improve the financial productivity and comfort of your buildings without the need to modify any existing systems.
24. Halton Group: Halton Group offers a range of HVAC system products to create safe, comfortable and productive indoor environments that are energy-efficient and comply with sustainable principles.
25. SkyCentrics: SkyCentrics has developed a real-time IoT solution for smart buildings to optimize distributed energy resource management, offering real-time control over building energy systems.
26. DIRTT: DIRTT’s integrated prefab approach delivers modular interior systems to maximize space utilization and efficiency in buildings.
27. Emagispace: Emagispace’s modular building systems solution empowers you to develop quality structures in the most easy, fast, and cost effective way available.
28. Rightsize Facility: Rightsize is a nationwide office interiors firm, offering planning, design, and servicing for office expansion, relocation, or consolidation.
29. USM: USM is a leader in modular furniture design, with a range of applications in different types of buildings.
30. Igor: Igor produces advanced lighting controls for PoE-powered intelligent lighting, bringing control over a buildings’s connected devices and apps all in on place.
31. Lutron: For single homes, buildings, or large commercial campuses, Lutron offers dimmers, occupancy/vacancy sensors, light control systems, and shading solutions to reduce lighting energy use, optimize system performance, and enhance the visual environment.
32. Sensus: Sensus has developed an intelligent IoT lighting solution that provides greater control and automation of either LED or legacy light systems.
33. Wavelength Lighting: Wavelength curates top-quality LED lamps and fixtures for existing or new spaces, delivering instant savings and fast payback for large-scale lighting projects.
34. Boni: Boni provides indoor positioning and mapping solutions for everyone including owners, residents or visitors of commercial buildings.
35. EverCharge: EverCharge built an electric charging solution specifically designed for apartments and condominiums, and offers built-in IoT and remote monitoring capability.
36. KONE: KONE offers industry-leading elevators, escalators, and other innovative solutions for maintenance and modernization of indoor mobility systems.
37. Thyssenkrupp MAX: Thyssenkrupp MAX is a smart, IoT-enabled solution that is taking elevator availability, reliability, and efficiency to new heights with the industry’s first real-time, cloud-based predictive maintenance solution.
38. IBIS Power: IBIS Power’s PowerNEST generates wind and solar energy on the limited roof space of high-rises, delivering an attractive payback time and blending seamlessly with a wide range of architectural styles.
39. SolarCity: A subsidiary of Tesla, SolarCity’s Solar Roof platform uses durable glass tiles to turn buildings into energy-generating utilities.
40. SolarEdge: SolarEdge aims to address a broad range of energy markets by offering large scale photovoltaic roof systems, providing uninterrupted power supply.
41. Voltaic Systems: Voltaic Systems has created a line of durable, IoT-enabled photovoltaic panels, increasing efficiency in rooftop energy generation for smart buildings.
42. Good2Go: Good2Go’s secure access technology for locating and accessing retailer restrooms is transforming the way people interact with buildings.
43. HqO: HqO offers a tenant experience platform that connects people to places, experiences, and each other with visitor registration, room booking, parking monitoring, food ordering, and community engagement functionality.
44. Mobile Doorman: Mobile Doorman improves how residents interact with buildings using a fully-customized, user-friendly tool that empowers them to live smarter and helps owners manage efficiently, improve retention, and boost their bottom line.
45. Stratus: OpenPath offers high-availability security solutions for smart buildings, preventing costly downtime from happening and guaranteeing data integrity.
46. Aquagen Infrastructure Systems: Aquagen Infrastructure Systems’ technology incorporates the natural benefits of algae-based photosynthesis to enhance the operational process of wastewater treatment, saving operators on costs, and turning wastewater into a sustainable community resource.
47. Flo Technologies: Backed by years of product development and industry-leading technology, Flo by Moen detects and stops leaks to protect buildings from water damage through a simple-to-use app, notifying building owners before damages can occur.
48. Itron Inc.: Itron's water meter technology utilizes edge intelligence to track flow usage patterns at the meter level, setting a new standard in intelligent water systems.
49. Opti: Opti has built an IoT-based solution that is transforming how buildings use roof systems to manage stormwater by automatically controlling the timing and rate of stormwater flow through existing and new facilities.
50. Zero Mass Water: Using a hydropanel that makes drinking water from sunlight and air, Zero Mass Water's innovative solution can make up to a case of drinking water each day independent from traditional central water systems.